Sunday, October 10, 2010

Freddie Hubbard "Open Sesame"

When I was back in the 308 I discovered a lot of music. Some of it was Jazz, some was Funk, some was Hip Hop. My Sunday mornings almost always were spent flying high through the bins of one of the many record shops on the Hill - Capitol Hill to anyone confused, I’ve learned it’s not universal.

The bins more often than not had some CTI gems in them and being a beginner that was something I looked for religiously. Hell I’ll still pull any CTI jawn out and give it a thorough examination, consideration. But consideration is the name of all my diggin these days. I’m spending more time trying to excavate the crates of my own that I recently was reacquainted with anyway to go and buy out EM’s dollar bin - although I’m certain a find or two is waiting.

A name that I got stuck on quick when devouring Creed Taylor’s productions was Freddie Hubbard. First Light was my introduction to him and I was hooked. Playing trumpet with ease and grace, I enjoyed his classic style that only hinted at his free jazz exposure via Ornette Coleman and John Coltrane among others.

Windjammer was one of the few releases by him I ever picked up that wasn’t on CTI, of course it’s a latter day record that remains funky featuring some nice spacey synths that really kind of make you feel like flying through wind. His Blue Note work, like mosts, is hard to find. The label that produced more classics than I can count can’t stay on the shelf. Reissues sure, but I’m talking about that vintage, smells like the sixties black piece of wax with the classic label and beautiful design work. Everything about Blue Note screams CLASS.

Open Sesame is awesome. Playing it on this Sunday morning I’ve been entranced. It’s Hubbard’s debut, he was 22. The band is tight! They keep the groove and play together beautifully. McCoy Tyner is here on keys doing what he does best, his playing is always so pronounced. Listen to him with Coltrane, here or on his solo jams and he is always moving. Sometimes he plays it loud, somtimes he lets the keys just float underneath it all. I’m sure this was all part of the composition but 50 years after the fact I can’t help but be enchanted by it.

This album can’t really be praised enough. If you love jazz you have probably heard it already. I’m certainly sleeping just hearing it now, but hey it’s here today and in my ears. Get it in yours one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment