Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas Music 2010 Roundup

Google hiphop Christmas and this pops up in the image results. I can dig it.

Last night I sat and watched a play. The play was a sequel to the holiday classic A Christmas Carol. It was pretty lame and made me think about my distaste for holiday music. For the holiday in general. But it's Christmas Eve and I'm kicking it with the fam. I need some music that convey's the holiday spirit and still makes me feel sane. Thankfully a number of artists have decided to break us off with some good music this week to help aid in our celebrations.



I'm not overly familiar with Gerald Walker, but I know he has dropped a song or two via the blogosphere that I've bumped. His quick EP A Gerald Walker Christmas dropped on the 20th and I've already played it through many times. It's fun and good music. He picked up some beats that feature bells, strings and soft drums that all equate christmas to my ear. But don't imagine these beats as weak. Far from it. You'll be vibing with him. Lyrically he just talks his holiday shit. About his feelings of what it's about, how he spends it and happiness. Mess with some family members heads with this! Listen to my fav cut off the project above, and download the whole jawn here.

Stones Throw blue eyed soul man Mayer Hawthorne dropped "Christmas Time Is Here" featuring him singing the holiday standard over some melancholy piano keys from Vince Guaraldi. To be honest this song is right on the edge of what I hate about Christmas music. His voice is high here, almost uncomfortably so yet the smooth piano and funny cover help endear this nerdy take on a Christmas song everyone in your house has heard at least once.

Mayer Hawthorne - Christmas Time Is Here by Mayer Hawthorne

Paul White is a name you will be hearing more of in the future. He makes dope sample based instrumentals. I'm curious how traditions vary across the pond, perhaps one day I'll find out. Holiday standards appear to be standards worldwide. He unleashed "We Three Kings" last week, you should enjoy it with some peppermint egg nog.

Paul White - We Three Kings by alexchase

After storming the world with his album that is racking up slots on year end lists, Ye decided to hit us with one more Good Friday jam to help us ring in the 25th of December. "Christmas In Harlem" sees the Good music fam joining up with the Harlem crew to wish their hood a very merry Christmas. The beat is smooth, Kanye found a good chick to hold down the hook and Musiq Soulchild singing at the end makes me remember why I bought all his albums in high school. Vado's verse here might have been the tipping point for me, may be checking for dude in 2011. You can download this from Kanye.

Over the same beat Statik Selektah and his 1982 partner Termanology team up with JFK, Reks & Kali to wish their town the same sentiments. Another fun cut that will probably mean more for those in that local. But hey if you need something a little harder for your Christmas mix this will suit your needs perfectly!



Burn One might have been the most under the radar producer this year lacing many a souther cat with a banger. Right before closing out the year it's only fitting he would drop the instrumental "Figgy Pudding (Spaced Out Xmas Jam)" on our collective conscious. It's heavy. It features guitars ragging in the background over choir vocals. There is a melody here we have all heard every year around this time too, replayed only how a hiphop head could do it. This bangs.



Merry Christmas to you all from us here at Members Only. Have an awesome holiday!

No comments:

Post a Comment