Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Hypnotic Brass Ensemble

I love brass. I love horn sections. I love horn stabs. I love to sample horns. I wish I could play trumpet.

That said, this is the most excited I've been about new music in a long time. I've heard these guys pop up on tracks here and there over the last year or so, but when I heard them on BK-One's 'Tema Do Canibal' my brain damn near exploded from sheer brass happiness.

Peep this vid and the description below for a full briefing on this Chi-Town clique.

ChoiceCuts presents Hypnotic Brass Ensemble from Loughlin McSweeney on Vimeo.


Hypnotic Brass Ensemble are one of a kind. Graced with soul, funk, and spirituality this band have captivated audiences worldwide. Their music is a combination of all genres. With the undeniable drive of hip-hop, the freedom of rock and the melodic thread of R&B these guys are nothing short of unique.

All band members are the sons of legendary Sun Ra trumpeter Phil Cohran. The group began performing together as children (some as early as 3 years old). In 1999 they formed what is now known as the Hypnotic Brass Ensemble and have performed or collaborated with some of the greatest musical stars of the last two decades. From Mos Def to Maxwell, Wu Tang Clan's Ghostface Killah to UK superstar Damon Alburn, Erykah Badu to Fela Kuti's drummer Tony Allen. If you don't know these guys you're missing out.



They are putting out an EP this year entitled "Heritage" and this is the lead single, which is a cover of one of my all time favorite hip hop slow jams.

Spottie - Heritage EP Exclusive Download by ChoiceCuts



So are you sold yet? I am going to do everything in my power to bring these guys to Seattle.

1 comment: